Wootton is a large village in the north of Bedfordshire.
21 and 23 Church Row are listed by English Heritage as Grade II, of special interest. This pair of houses dates from the 18th century and was probably originally divided into three (since 23 is twice the size of 21). They are timber-framed with roughcast render and have old clay tiled roofs.
Saint Mary’s Church, Wootton, dates largely from the 14th century. The date of the earliest known Vicar of Wootton is 1251 and the church is first mentioned a hundred years before in the mid-12th century. Sir Nikolaus Pevsner dated both the arcades and the chancel arch to around 1300.The church has a medieval rood screen which dates from the 15th century.
The Fox & Duck has been a licensed premises for 180 years, since late 1836 or early 1837, an unusually precise dating for a licensed premises as long ago as this.
The War Memorial now stands on a small green on the road to the church, at the junction of Church Road and Church Row. The memorial was first unveiled in 1922 when it resided at the junction of Church Road and Cranfield Road. Among those whom the memorial commemorates are 6 servicemen who died in April 1917, when the population of the village was just over 1,300: Lance Sergeant Frederick Dudley, Lance Corporal Thomas Folkes, Private Frederick Granby, Gunner Jesse Hutchings, Corporal George Keech and Private Lewis Lambert